Phil Vickery uncovers Britain's best tarts - pastry tart's that is!
Phil stops in the town of Bakewell, where factory staff show him the difference between a Bakewell pudding and tart - before he makes one for himself.
Prep time - 20 minutes
Cooking time - 25/30 minutes
3 tbsp apricot jam
3 tbsp seedless raspberry jam
1 x 25cm baked blind sweet shortcrust pastry tart
2 medium eggs, warmed
125g caster sugar
125g melted unsalted butter
125g ground almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C gas 4. Place a flat baking tray in the oven to preheat. Spread the jams onto the pastry base.
2. Meanwhile, place the eggs and sugar in a heatproof bowl and sit over a pan of simmering water. Whisk the eggs and sugar together to high ribbon stage - it should be very light and fluffy and almost able to hold it’s own weight, so it leaves a trail when you lift the whisk.
3. Pour in the melted butter, and mix carefully. Then fold in the ground almonds and spoon into the pastry case.
4. Place in the oven on top of the baking sheet and cook for about 20 - 25 minutes, or until the sponge is cooked and the pastry is light brown - do not cook too quickly or the sponge will rise and collapse, leaving a sunken pudding.
5. Cool, and serve with a little lightly whipped cream.