Phil Vickery's 30 minute chicken and chorizo rice
Phil's helping us get through the first week of January with his super simple one-pot chicken & chorizo rice. This midweek saviour is delicious, ready in under 30 minutes, and will save on the washing up!
One pot chicken, chorizo & spinach rice
1 tbsp any oil
150g finely chopped cooking chorizo
4 large skinless chicken thighs, each cut into 6 small pieces
2 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
225g long grain rice
600ml boiling water
2 x chicken Oxo cubes
6 frozen spinach pellets
Freshly ground black pepper
4 tbsp roughly chopped parsley
75mls extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp any vinegar
2 ripe fresh tomatoes, cut in halves seeds squeezed out
Season to taste and loosen with extra oil if required
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C / gas 6.
2. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof pan, add the chorizo and cook for a couple of minutes to release a little oil, then add the chicken pieces and cook for a few minutes.
3. Add the onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes until softened.
4. Add the rice, stir well then add the water, sprinkle over the stock cubes.
5. Season well then bring to the boil, stirring well.
6. Place the 6 frozen pellets of spinach onto the top of the rice and gently push down to sit in the liquid.
7. Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid or foil, and cook in the oven for 14-16 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
8. Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
9. Meanwhile blitz with a stick blender the parsley, extra virgin olive oil, mustard, vinegar and tomatoes until smooth.
10. Just before serving, spoon over half the dressing and JUST fold through.
11. Serve in 4 deep bowls then spoon over the remainder of the dressing evenly.