Phil Vickery's corn ribs with herby mayo and cheesy sweetcorn muffins
Sweetcorn season is in full swing and Phil has something a-maize-ing for you to make this weekend. Live from the sweetcorn fields of Garson Farm in Surrey, he serves up his corn ribs with herby mayo and cheesy sweetcorn muffins - perfect for brunches and barbecues with friends and family.
Makes about 14 muffins
1 tbsp olive oil
200g sweetcorn kernels
300g plain flour
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of ground black pepper
3 medium eggs
3 tbsp chopped chives
180g sunblush dried tomatoes, chopped
200g cheddar cheese, grated
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan over a high heat. Add the sweetcorn and cook until the kernels are golden brown. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180C, Gas 4 and use paper cases to line the muffin tins.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, bicarb, baking powder and pepper.
4. Place half the roasted sweetcorn in a blender with the buttermilk and eggs and blitz until smooth. Tip into a bowl, add the chives, tomatoes and cheese and stir in.
5. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and lightly mix.
6. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake in the oven for about 15 - 20 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown.
Grilled sweetcorn fingers with sweet green mayo
2 medium corn on the cob
2-3 tbsp any oil
8 tbsp good quality mayo
2 tbsp tarragon mustard
4 tbsp fresh flat parsley
4 tbsp fresh coriander
4 tbsp dill
4 tbsp Thai basil
white wine vinegar to taste
1. Stand the sweetcorn on a board and using a sharp knife split right down the middle. Lay flat on a board and cut into quarters lengthways.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan. Season the sweetcorn wedges with salt and pepper and place corn side down into the oil.
3. Cook over a moderate heat until well coloured and starting to bend slightly.
4. Place all the ingredients for the sauce into a liquidiser and blitz until really smooth and beautifully green - you may need a little water to start off.
5. Serve the sweetcorn with the mayonnaise