Phil Vickery's crispy chicken and chips
Phil Vickery’s in the kitchen with a budget friendly classic that will feed the whole family, his delicious crispy chicken and chips.
Phil Vickery's chicken and chips
For the chicken:
4 medium chicken thighs, skin off, bone still in
2 tbsp thick Greek yoghurt
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
4 tbsp cornflour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
75ml any oil
50g unsalted butter
For the green mayo:
8 tbsp mayonnaise
Handful of fresh basil leaves
A dash of any vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 200’C / gas mark 6
2. Place a chicken thigh on a board, and run a sharp knife down the side of the bone.
3. Cut around one end or knuckle, then run the knife along the uncut side and pull the bone back onto itself and flatten the chicken - but leaving the bone attached to the thigh. Carefully chop the end of the knuckle off leaving a nice clean bone. Press the chicken flat with a rolling pin, and repeat with the following 3 thighs.
4. Lay a large piece of cling film or plastic bag on a chopping board. Sprinkle a little water over the cling film or inside the bag. Place a chicken thigh on the cling film or in the bag, fold over the film and gently flatten the thigh to about 1cm ish. Repeat with the other 3.
5. Mix together the yoghurt and mustard in a bowl, then spread over the chicken.
6. Season the thighs well with salt and pepper. Lightly dust each thigh in a little cornflour, then dip into the beaten egg, and then finally into the breadcrumbs. Pat the chicken really well and wipe the bone free of any egg mixture.
7. Cook the thighs in a little oil and butter for 4-5 minutes on each side, then pop into the oven for 10-15 minutes to cook through nice and gently.
8. Meanwhile, place the mayo and the basil into a liquidiser and add a touch of water. Blitz until you have a thick, bright green puree. Add a dash of vinegar and a little ground pepper just before serving to keep the lovely green colour.