Phil Vickery's double decker hot cross bun ice cream sandwich
Made using shop-bought hot cross buns soaked like bread and butter pudding, cooked and served with ice cream in the middle, Phil's dessert turns a traditional hot cross bun into something everyone will love.
Double decker hot cross bun ice cream sandwich
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
For the easy hot cross bun & raspberry ice cream
4 hot cross buns4-5 tbsp brown sugar300g caster sugar150mls cold water8 egg yolks600mls very lightly whipped double cream2 tsp vanilla extract 1 level tsp mixed spice 1 level tsp ground cinnamon150g sieved raspberry puree (made from frozen raspberries)
For the hot cross bun sauce
120g unsalted butterSalt to taste150g light brown sugar275mls double cream1 tbsp black treacle1 level tsp mixed spice½ tsp ground cinnamonDash lemon juice1 tbsp vanilla extract100g sultanas, soaked in boiling water or tea (best overnight if you can)
For the hot cross bun sandwich:
4 hot cross buns, sliced into 3 very carefully50g melted salted butter
1. For the easy hot cross bun & raspberry ice cream: Preheat the oven to 200C Gas 5
2. Break up the hot cross buns and place into a food processor, blitz until you have a fine crumb. Tip into a bowl and stir through the brown sugar really well.
3. Lay evenly onto a parchment lined baking tray and bake in the oven until really crunchy and coloured, do not burn. You may have to stir them occasionally to get an even cook. Once cooked, remove and cool.
4. Place the 300g of caster sugar and water in a pan and bring to the boil. Once boiling, leave to boil for 5 minutes exactly. I use a small digital timer.
5. Place the egg yolks into a mixing bowl, and once the sugar and water have been boiling for 2 minutes, set the machine to medium speed.
6. At 5 minutes, take the sugar and water off the stove, turn the machine up to full speed, and pour onto the egg yolks. Whisk until thick, foamy and cold, then remove the egg yolk mixture from the machine.
7. Carefully fold through the lightly whipped cream, the vanilla, mixed spice and cinnamon. Then fold in the hot cross bun crumbs, then finally swirl through the raspberry puree so you have a ripple effect. Tip the mixture into a container, then cover and freeze well.
8. For the hot cross bun sauce: Make the sauce by placing the butter, salt, sugar, treacle, spices and cream together into a saucepan and bring to the boil, whisk well until you have a thick sauce. Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice and zest, vanilla extract and sultanas. Serve warm.
9. For the hot cross bun sandwich: Slice the hot cross buns into 3 thin slices and brush with a little melted butter. Bake in the pre heated oven until crisp. Sandwich with nice scoops of the ice cream and then spoon over a little of the sauce.