Phil Vickery's £10 family feast
Phil is bringing some sunshine to the kitchen today, with flavours from the Mediterranean.
He’ll be showing us how to make his quick chicken & chorizo Spanish-style rice, which feeds a family of four for less than a tenner.
Chicken and chorizo Spanish style rice
4 chicken legs, cut in two, (chop the knuckles from the drumstick)
200g - 225g cooking chorizo, skinned and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large red pepper, chopped into 1cm pieces
1 yellow pepper, chopped into 1cm pieces
2 small onions, finely chopped
300g paella rice
1 chicken stock cube
1 tbsp smoked paprika
Pinch chilli flakes
600ml boiling water
4 tbsp chopped parsley
4 lemon wedges
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Heat a large ovenproof pan and the olive oil.
3. Season the chicken pieces well with salt and ground pepper. Brown nicely, then remove from the pan. Next add the chorizo and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes so the beautiful red oil comes out of the chorizo. Add the peppers and onions and brown well. Next add the rice and coat well in the peppers and onions. Add the paprika, chilli and water and stir well. Place the chicken pieces on top and push down slightly. Bring to a gentle simmer then cover and pop into the oven. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the rice has absorbed all the stock. Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to rest for 20 minutes, covered.
4. When ready to serve, break up the rice and chicken and cover with lots of chopped parsley.
5. Serve with lemon wedges and extra paprika as a seasoning if you want.
4 chicken legs, cut in two, (chop the knuckles from the drumstick) - £1.79
200g - 225g cooking chorizo, skinned and finely chopped - £2
2 cloves garlic, crushed - 6p
1 large red pepper, chopped into 1cm pieces - 48p
1 yellow pepper, chopped into 1cm pieces - 48p
2 small onions, finely chopped - 36p
300g paella rice - 90p
1 chicken stock cube - 5p
1 tbsp smoked paprika - 15p
Pinch chilli flakes - 8p
4 tbsp chopped parsley - £1
4 lemon wedges - 30p