Phil Vickery’s perfect chicken and leek pie
Phil’s bringing back one of his most popular recipes with This Morning viewers from over the years! This comforting chicken and leek pie can brighten up the greyest of January days, and is even friendly on the pocket too.
Phil’s easy chicken & leek pie
Serves: Makes 2 pies
12 chicken thighs no skin, boned (but keep the bones) and each one cut into 8 pieces
4 medium leeks, washed well and chopped into small chunks
2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
½ tsp ground turmeric
4 tbsp fresh tarragon
2 crumbly chicken stock cubes
Water, to cover
3 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp soft butter
198g can sweetcorn, drained
4 sheets ready rolled shortcrust pastry
1 medium egg, beaten
You will need a Pie Tin (18cm diameter base, 22cm diameter across top and 4 cm deep)
1. Place the chicken, bones, leeks, carrot, turmeric, tarragon, stock cubes and pepper into a saucepan then add enough water to cover by 1-2 cm.
2. Bring to the boil, then gently simmer for 10 minutes, or until the carrots are cooked, by which time the liquid should just cover the meat and vegetables.
3. Once cooked, strain the chicken and vegetables out and skim off any fat. Measure the liquid that’s left, and return 400ml to the pan and bring to a simmer
4. Mix the flour and butter together, then stir into the simmering liquid, it needs to be nice and thick. You will probably need to simmer for a minute or so.
5. Once thickened add the sweetcorn, chicken and vegetables and re-season, then cool and chill well.
6. Preheat the oven to 200C gas 6. Line two pie tins with two of the sheets of pastry and leave a nice overhang. Spoon in the chilled thickened mix (minus bones) and press down slightly.
7. Egg the top edge and lay over the remaining sheets of pastry, trim off the excess, thumb up and crimp nicely.
8. Brush with beaten egg, make a small incision, place on baking trays and cook in the pre heated oven for 30-40 minutes or until nicely browned and piping hot.
9. Serve with extra gravy (made using the remaining cooking stock), and vegetables of your choice.