Phil Vickery's perfect pork chops and apple sauce
It’s one of Alison’s favourite dishes, so today Phil’s in the kitchen with a proper winter warmer of pork chops and apple sauce.
Pork chops with Bramley apple ketchup
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
2 level tbsp table salt2 level tbsp caster sugar1 tsp ground black pepper4 medium pork chops, rind off, but nicked every 1cm
For the ketchup
2 medium Bramley apples, peeled and chopped roughly75ml cider vinegar100g caster sugar
1. Mix the salt, sugar and pepper together really well then sprinkle evenly over the pork chops. Rub in gently, turn over and repeat the process, then leave for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn over and leave for a further 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place the apples into a pan along with a little water, the vinegar and sugar and cook over a gentle heat until pulpy
3. Once the apples are cooked, place into a liquidiser and blitz until really smooth, then pour in the syrup, strain through a sieve
4. Wash off the sugar and salt from the chops, then pat really dry with a kitchen towel
5. Heat a frying pan, add a dash of oil then gently cook the chops for 2-3 minutes on each side, then remove from the pan from the stove, cover loosely with foil and leave for 10 minutes, making sure the chops are just cooked, not overcooked.
6. Serve with the ketchup
Our pork is from Sillfield Farm Foods