Phil Vickery’s sizzling veggie fajitas
Phil’s got your meat-free feast all wrapped up! He’s bringing all the colour, flavour and sizzle that you need to make some delicious veggie fajitas.
Phil Vickery's Sweet Potato Pepper Bean Fajitas
2-3 tbsp any oil
2 small red onions, very finely sliced
2 cloves garlic very finely chopped
pinch chilli flakes
pinch ground cumin
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm pieces
1 x 10g vegetable stock cube
½ tsp smoked paprika
1 x 400g can kidney beans well drained
2 tbsp fresh chopped coriander
FOR THE AVOCADO RELISH:
2 small avocados, roughly chopped
½ clove garlic, finely pasted
2 small ripe tomatoes chopped
1 tbsp Sherry vinegar
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
8 small flour tortillas
100g sour cream
1. Heat a large saute pan or wok, then add the oil.
2. Add the onions, garlic, chilli, cumin and a little salt.
3. Cook for 5-6 minutes to get a little colour.
4. Add the sweet potatoes, water, stock cube, paprika, pepper and kidney beans.
5. Mix well and cook over a moderate heat partially covered with a lid until water has evaporated and the sweet potatoes are cooked and nice and soft.
6. Mash with a fork or potato masher, leaving some chunks whole.
7. Season well, add the fresh coriander and leave to room temperature.
8. Meanwhile, make up the avocado relish and mix well.
9. Serve the sweet potato mix into small tortillas, topped with the avocado relish, add sour cream, sriracha and a squeeze of fresh lime.
Jalapeno Onion Rings
4 large onions, peeled
200g cream cheese
4 tbsp well drained jarred jalapenos, finely chopped
100g grated strong Cheddar cheese
2-3 tbsp finely chopped parsley
6-8 tbsp plain flour
3 medium eggs
400g dried breadcrumbs
1. Cut the onions into 2cm thick rings.
2. Pop out the rings and use every third or fourth ring.
3. Line 2 trays with cling film, then lay the larger rings out flat on the cling film.
4. Lay a smaller ring inside so you have a gap of say 1-1.5cm.
5. Mix the cream cheese, jalapenos, Cheddar, parsley, salt and a few breadcrumbs just to tighten the mix.
7. Using a piping bag, with a 1cm plain tube, pipe the mix in between the two rings, nice and full. Repeat with the 2 trays.
8. Freeze until solid.
9. When ready to cook, remove from the tray and dip into plain flour, coat well with beaten egg and buttermilk then the breadcrumbs. Repeat until all are prepared.
10. Fry 4 at a time in 3-4 cm deep oil at 180C until crispy and golden.
11. Serve dusted with a little salt and extra cheese as an optional extra.