Phil Vickery's spring chicken pie
Full of fresh seasonal ingredients, Phil is here with a lighter, brighter version of a classic pie with his filo-topped spring chicken pie.
Spring chicken filo pie
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
10 sheets filo pastry, roughly1 medium egg beaten25-30g melted butter
4 tbsp olive oil1 onion, finely chopped1 medium courgette, finely chopped1 clove garlic crushed1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes in juice200g frozen peas1 x 10g stock cube400g smoked chicken breast, roughly chopped (or cooked, chopped chicken breast)
Olive oilSaltGround pepperSmoked paprika4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, gas 6
2. Line a 20cm x 3cm deep ovenproof frying pan with 3-4 sheets of filo pastry, brushing each layer with a little beaten egg and then the melted butter, keep any trimmings for the top later
3. Cook in the preheated oven for 10 minutes to set the egg and pastry, then remove from the oven
4. Meanwhile, whilst the pastry is browning, heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onions, courgette and garlic and cook for 10 minutes to soften over a high heat. Add the tomatoes, peas and stock cube and simmer until nice and thick. Stir in the roughly chopped chicken and season well with salt and pepper. Then spoon the filling mix into the cooked filo lined pan.
5. Very finely slice the rest of the filo pastry and place into a bowl. Drizzle the filo with olive oil, and season well with salt, pepper, the smoked paprika and the chopped parsley. Arrange the rest of the filo pastry on top of the filled pie.
6. Pop into the oven and cook for a further 15 minutes to brown nicely
7. Serve with green salad