Phil Vickery's summer Pimm's trifle
Nothing says summer quite like a jug of Pimm's! Phil is taking the classic flavours off our favourite summer tipple, and creating this delicious show stopping summer trifle.
Makes one large bowl
150g caster sugar
1 large bunch fresh mint, roughly chopped
2 x 75g packets custard (use half water and half Pimm's as substitute for the mix)
350g finely chopped white chocolate
2 oranges, finely grated zest 12 trifle sponges
4 tbsp strawberry jam
350g fresh ripe strawberries, sliced
750ml double cream, lightly whipped with a little icing sugar and vanilla extract
25g grated white chocolate
12 strawberry halves, to top
1. Boil the water and sugar together until thick then cool. Once cooled add lots of fresh mint and blitz with a hand blender until you have a thick mint syrup. Set aside.
2. Make up the custard according to the instructions, however using half boiling water and half warm Pimm’s, then once thickened whisk in the white chocolate and mix well until melted, finally add the orange zest.
3. Slice the sponges in half horizontally and spread evenly with the strawberry jam. Sandwich the sponges back together, then cut into small cubes and place half in the bottom of a large bowl, and sprinkle with Pimm’s.
4. Sprinkle over half of the strawberry pieces and cover with half of the custard mix. Add the rest of the sponge, followed by the rest of the strawberries then top with the rest of the custard. Chill really well, best overnight.
5. When ready to serve, whip the double cream, icing sugar, vanilla together, do not over whip. Pile into the set trifle. Sprinkle over plenty of the grated white chocolate and decorate with piped rosettes of cream, the halved strawberries and at the last moment spoon over the fresh mint syrup.