Phil Vickery's summer sausage rolls
Phil's giving the family favourite sausage roll a summer twist! He’s cooking up not one, but three delicious meaty treats for you to sink your teeth into. He's making his sun-dried tomato and roasted courgette lattice sausage roll, mini chorizo and roasted pepper sausage roll, and a giant sausage and apricot roll!
Sausage sun-dried tomato and courgette lattice roll
2 tbsp of any oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 medium courgettes, cut into 1cm pieces (a mix of yellow and green is nice)
12 sun-dried tomatoes chopped finely
650g sausage meat
500g puff pastry
1 medium egg, beaten, to glaze
1. Preheat the oven to 170C, Gas 3.
2. Heat the oil then add the onion, garlic and courgette and cook on a high heat, to soften and get a nice colour. Allow to cool.
3. Mix the tomatoes into the sausage meat really well.
4. Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll out to a 40cm x 30cm rectangle.
5. Lay the pastry on a baking tray. Form the sausage meat into a thick sausage and place in the centre third of the pastry. Press the cooked onions, garlic and courgettes into the top of the meat.
6. Cut 2cm wide strips from the sausage meat to the edge to the pastry, on both sides, along the full length of the pastry. Fold the strips across the sausage meat, alternating strips from the left then the right, to create a plait effect.
7. Brush all over with beaten egg and cook for 45 - 55 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
Serves 4-6 (2 large sausage rolls)
500g good quality sausage meat (20% fat)
2 tsp dried sage
½ tsp ground nutmeg
100g chopped dried apricots
Pinch ground black pepper
4 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
300g good quality ready rolled all butter puff pastry
1 small egg, beaten, to glaze
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, Gas 5.
2. Mix together the sausage meat, sage, nutmeg, apricots, black pepper and breadcrumbs.
3. Roll out the puff pastry to roughly 40cm x 12cm wide.
4. Place the sausage meat down one side of the pastry and fold over the pastry to cover the meat entirely.
5. Move the fold of the pastry underneath, facing down on the bottom of the baking tray; then brush well with the beaten egg.
6. Leave to re-chill for 20 minutes.
7. Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden and cooked right through.
Mini chorizo roasted pepper sausage rolls
Serves 10-12 (makes 25)
200g good quality sausage meat, not to fatty, (15-20% is perfect)
300g soft chorizo, roughly chopped
200g finely chopped roasted peppers
6 tbsp chopped parsley
500g ready rolled puff pastry
1 egg, beaten, to glaze
If the sausage meat and chorizo are at room temperature, it makes it easier to pipe.
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas 6.
2. Place the sausage meat and chorizo into a food processor and blitz until finely chopped. Add the red peppers and parsley and blitz quickly to mix together.
3. Place the sheets of pastry on a board and cut into 5cm wide strips. Brush well with beaten egg.
4. Using a piping bag, pipe the sausage meat onto the strips, slightly to one side. Fold the pastry over and seal the edge well. Brush again with beaten egg, then chill well.
5. Cut into small rolls and place on a non-stick baking sheet. Cook for about 20-25 minutes or until browned, crisp and cooked through.