Phil Vickery's Summer Steak Sandwich
Phil’s back in the kitchen with a summer meal for the whole family. He’ll be showing you how to whip up his quick-and-easy steak sandwiches with a side order of tasty salsa - perfect for an afternoon in the sunshine.
For the pickled onions
½ small red onion, very thinly sliced on a mandolin
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp castor sugar
For the steaks
2 x 1cm - 1.5cm thick steaks (Rib eye, or sirloin)
2 tbsp oil
Salt & pepper to season the steak
For the baguette
4 tbsp mayo
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 long crisp baguettes
4 sprigs of watercress
2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced lengthways
1. Place the onions, vinegar and sugar into a bowl and leave for 20 minutes.
2. Heat the oil and season the steaks well with salt and pepper.
3. Cook for 2 minutes on each side then leave in the pan to rest for 2 minutes.
4. Meanwhile mix the mayo and mustard together really well.
5. Spread the mayo in the baguette on both cut sides.
6. Add the steak and top with the watercress, sliced tomatoes and pickled onions.
Cherry tomato and avocado salsa
1 ripe avocado, small cubes
½ small onion, red or white, peeled and finely chopped
1 small red chilli, de seeded and chopped very finely
2 tbsp sherry vinegar
2 tsp castor sugar
2 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and chopped
15 cherry tomatoes, quartered
3 tbsp fresh chopped coriander
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Mix together the onion, chilli, garlic, sugar and season well with salt and pepper.
2. Add the avocado, vinegar, tomatoes, coriander mix well, then chill well.
3. Leave for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
4. Re-season before serving.