Phil Vickery's terrific tomatoes recipes
With tomatoes having been affected by nationwide shortages in recent months, Phil Vickery has headed to the Isle of Wight to find out why the salad staple has been missing from the supermarket shelves - and he’s inspired to make some delicious dishes using fresh tomatoes: guacamole and roasted tomatoes.
2 ripe avocados, halved and stones removed
2 small shallots, peeled and very finely chopped
1 cloves of garlic, crushed
1-2 tsp sherry vinegar
2-3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
1-2 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
Juice 1 large lime
Salt and freshly ground pepper
500g of various tomatoes, halved or cut into small pieces, at room temperature
Tortilla chips and soft wheat tortillas, to serve
1. Using a spoon, scoop out the avocado flesh and break up in a bowl with a fork.
2. Next add the shallots, garlic, vinegar, coriander, oil, lime juice and salt and pepper mix well. At the last second add the tomatoes and gently fold in.
3. Serve with tortilla chips or soft wheat tortillas.
Warm tomatoes with yoghurt, lemon & sea salt
4 tbsp sherry vinegar
2 tbsp runny honey
Pinch of ground coriander
2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and ground pepper
400g ripe, medium sized tasty tomatoes, halved
200g thick Greek yoghurt
Finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
Roughly chopped parsley
Crispy baguette slices, to serve
1. Heat a medium sized non-stick frying pan.
2. Place the sherry vinegar, honey, ground coriander, olive oil, salt and pepper into a bowl and mix well then add the tomatoes and coat.
3. Add the tomatoes, cut side down, to the pan, and warm through on a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes, then flip over and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, depending on the ripeness of the fruit.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and top each tomato with a little yoghurt, lemon zest, sea salt and chopped parsley.
5. Serve in the pan with crispy baguette slices.