Phil's mushroom and bean chilli with cheesy dumplings
As the days get colder and the nights draw in, Phil Vickery’s in the kitchen with the perfect recipe to kick start your week.
His warming veggie chilli with oozing cheesy dumplings will hit the spot.
Bean and mushroom chilli with cheesy dumplings
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions peeled and finely chopped
700g chestnut mushrooms, minced, not blitzed in a food processor
2 cloves garlic, crushed
¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
½ tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp plain flour
400g can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1-2 tbsp Marmite
2 x 10g veg stock cubes
Salt and freshly ground pepper
For the dumplings
225g self-rising flour
120g cold butter, cut into ½ cm small cubes
200g strong cheddar, roughly grated
2 pinches salt
1 medium egg
Cold water to make a soft mix
1. Heat the oil in a large heavy pan, add the onions, mushrooms, garlic and spices and cook until really dry and coloured - this is really important to get real flavour into the end dish.
2. Add the flour and mix well to soak up the oil.
3. Add water, beans, Marmite and stock cubes and really mix well so you have a light stew, then bring to the simmer.
4. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200C gas 6 and make up the dumplings by mixing the flour, cubed butter, 100g of the cheese, salt, egg and enough water to make a soft dough.
5. Roll into walnut sized pieces and place on top of the simmering stew.
6. Carefully place in the oven and cook for 20 minutes until the dumplings puff up, then sprinkle on the remaining cheese and return to the oven to cook for a further 15 minutes or until the dumpling are nicely glazed and the chilli is nice and thick.