Phil's pasta making masterclass!
The shortages continue... pasta is now under threat! With reports that bad harvests caused by climate change could lead to short term supply issues of durum wheat, a key ingredient found in dry pasta - Phil Vickery is here with a solution, his pasta making masterclass.
300g ‘00' pasta flour
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 large eggs
1. Place everything into a food processor and blitz to a smooth paste.
2. Remove from the machine, and knead well.
3. Cover with cling film and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
4. Unwrap, and roll out in the machine to 1mm thick and cut accordingly.
5. Always keep covered or the paste will dry out.
To make Farfalle
1. Use a ravioli wheel cutter to cut the rolled dough into 25-30mm wide strips. Pinch together in the centre to form bow ties or butterfly shapes.
2. Serve with mushroom and cream based sauces.
To make Fettuccine
1. Cut the rolled dough into 12mm wide strips using a pasta machine or a sharp long knife.
2. Serve with cream and butter based sauces with Parmesan cheese, Al Fredo di Leilo for example. (See recipe below)
To make Pappardelle
1. Cut the rolled dough into 25-30mm strips.
2. Serve with Ragu based meat sauces.
Al Fredo Fettuccine
150ml double cream
50g salted butter
Splash of pasta cooking water
150g grated fresh Parmesan cheese
300g cooked fresh fettuccine
1. Heat the cream, butter and nutmeg with 3 - 4 tbsp of the pasta water in a saucepan.
2. Add the cheese and cooked pasta, warm through and season well.