Phil's Tasty Tomato Dishes For Summer 🍅
Phil Vickery’s making the best of tomato season with three tasty dishes: puff pastry tomato tart, roasted vine tomato tray bake and a tomato chilli chutney. He’ll be using the very best British tomatoes fresh from the sunny Isle of Wight.
Fresh Tomato & Mint Chutney
6 heaped tbsp fresh mint leaves, washed well and chopped finely
400g ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
2 heaped tsp fresh chilli, finely chopped
1 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
4 tbsp olive oil
finely grated zest and juice from 1 large lime
freshly milled pepper
1. Place the mint, tomatoes, chilli, garlic, lime juice and zest and olive oil into a bowl and mix well.
2. Spoon into a bowl, season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Leave for 20 minutes, re stir and serve.
Tomato & Basil Mascarpone Galette
250g ready rolled puff pastry
1 beaten egg
1 tbsp sesame seeds
6 tbsp fresh chopped basil
500g really ripe, large, tasty tomatoes
cracked black pepper
2-3 tbsp runny honey
whole basil leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 200C gas 6.
2. Lay the pastry onto a board and lightly flour.
3. Roll a little to make it slightly thinner.
4. Dock really well with a fork and brush with the beaten egg evenly, then sprinkle with the sesame seeds evenly.
5. Cook in the pre heated oven until lightly browned, turn over once when cooking so you get an even cook.
6. Once cooked cool.
7. Mix the mascarpone, mayo and basil really well.
8. Spread evenly over the cooked pastry.
9. Slice the tomatoes thinly and then overlap on the pastry, right to the edges.
10. Sprinkle it with salt, pepper and a thin drizzle of honey.
11. Sprinkle over whole, fresh basil leaves and serve.
Roasted Cherry Tomatoes On Sourdough
4 branches cherry tomatoes on the vine
3-4 tbsp olive oil
3-4 tbsp sherry vinegar
100g salted butter
4 long slices sourdough toast
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Lay the tomatoes into a small baking tray.
3. Oil well and season well with salt and pepper.
4. Roast the tomatoes for about 10 minutes until slightly blistered.
5. Add the vinegar and return to the oven to cook and evaporate pretty much, but do not overcook.
6. Spread each slice of toast with butter.
7. Lay each branch on the toast and serve.