Shakshuka traybake crunch
Tom is sharing his one pan baked eggs shakshuka dish with us for a delicious brunch idea this weekend. He uses great quality eggs and cooks them off in a rich tomatoey sauce, all done in one pan! Easy!
4 slices of bread
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 red onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 mug of frozen sliced mixed peppers
½ tsp ground cumin (optional)
½ tsp paprika or smoked paprika (optional)
1 tin chopped tomatoes
4 medium eggs
Salt and pepper
1. Pop the oven on at 200C fan.
2. Tear the bread into large bite sized pieces and put these on a roasting tray. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil and a bit of salt and pepper, then give it a toss to coat the bread. Bake the bread in the hot oven for 10 -12 minutes until it’s crisp and golden brown. Once cooked, set aside.
4. Meanwhile, peel and roughly chop the onion and garlic and pop it in a high sided roasting tin, or a small ovenproof dish. Tip in the frozen peppers and add a bit of salt and pepper. Drizzle over 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil and toss it all together. Pop the tin in the hot oven and cook for 10-12 minutes to soften the onion and pepper.
5. After this time, sprinkle over the cumin and paprika, if using, and pour in the tin of tomatoes. Give it a stir and put it back in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
6. Take the tin out of the oven and give the sauce a good stir Using a spoon, make 4 holes in the sauce and crack an egg into each one. Pop it back in the oven for a final 5 – 10 minutes until the eggs have just set but the yolks are still runny. Take the tin out of the oven and sprinkle over a bit of salt and pepper if you’d like. Scatter over the crunchy bread and dig in!