Shivi Ramoutar’s fish (and chip) cakes
To celebrate National Fish and Chip day, a fail-safe recipe for a speedy Friday fish supper. Shivi’s rustling up her fuss-free fish cakes that require no messy flour, egg or breadcrumbs. You can freeze them ahead and they’re great for using up any leftovers.
Fish (& chip) cakes with an apple and beetroot coleslaw
2 skinless boneless meaty white fish fillets (eg, cod, haddock or pollock), about 250g
Vegetable oil, for frying and drizzling
½ tin of peeled new potatoes, drained, mashed OR 175g of baby new potatoes, boiled and mashed
1 spring onion, finely snipped
¼ mug of frozen peas, defrosted at room temperature
3 tbsp breadcrumbs, plus extra for coating
Lemon wedges, to serve
Ready-made tartar sauce, to serve
For the coleslaw:
½ red cabbage, roughly shredded
2 carrots, julienned
½ red onion, thinly sliced
1 sweet apple, thinly sliced
1 medium raw beetroot, peeled and julienned
3-6 tsp mayonnaise, depending on desired consistency
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 170℃ fan. Place the fish fillets onto a baking tray and drizzle with a little oil. Cook for 10-15 minutes until cooked through. Once cooked, allow the fish to cool, then flake into chunks, discarding any skin and bones.
2. Combine together the fish, mashed potato, spring onion, egg and peas with a little seasoning, taking care not to break up the fish too much. Mix in a few tablespoons of breadcrumbs, if the mixture feels too soggy. Shape the mixture into 6-8 fishcakes.
3. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on a tray and lightly press a fishcake into the crumbs to create a coating. Gently turn over the fishcake and press more breadcrumbs into the remaining bare side. Repeat with the remaining fishcakes.
4. Put the fishcakes into the fridge and chill for an hour.
5. To fry the fishcakes, pour oil into a frying pan, just enough to cover the base, and place the pan over a high heat. Fry the fishcakes (you may have to do so in batches) until golden brown and cooked through, about 3-4 minutes either side.
6. Make the coleslaw by mixing together the chopped ingredients and seasoning.
7. Serve the fishcakes and coleslaw immediately, with a good dollop of tartar sauce.