James Martin's Strawberry Sponge
It’s the ultimate rainy bank holiday treat, a classic, foolproof recipe that will be a staple - James' Victoria Sponge.
Butter, for greasing
For the sponge
8 medium eggs
250g caster sugar
50g melted butter
250g plain flour
1 jar strawberry jam
400ml double cream, whipped
Icing sugar, to dust
12 large strawberries
150g caster sugar, heated to a caramel
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Fan 160.
2. Grease 2 x 20 cm springform tins lightly with butter and line the base with baking parchment paper.
3. In an electric mixer, whisk the eggs and sugar to a ribbon stage, then fold in the butter and the flour.
4. Divide the mixture evenly between the 2 tins, place onto a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes. When done, cool in the tins for 5 minutes then place onto a cooling rack.
5. Sit one of the cake sponges on a stand and then top with the jam and the cream, then carefully sit the other cake on top. Dust with icing sugar, dip the strawberries in the caramel and sit on top.