Suzanne Mulholland’s comforting chicken pie
This is the kind of dish that cold days are made for. Suzanne Mulholland will be showing you how to make her delicious chicken and mushroom pie, which has an easy filling which you can make ahead and freeze - perfect for whipping out during a comfort food emergency!
Suzanne’s humble pie
Preparation time: 10 minutesCook: 30 - 35 minutes
1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
115g frozen chopped onions
4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
300g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp plain flour
240ml chicken stock
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
1 sheet pre-rolled puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large, deep-sided frying pan over a medium heat, then add the onions and chicken pieces and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and the chicken is sealed. Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan and stir to combine with the chicken and onions, then cook, stirring occasionally, for 5–7 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the mushrooms have released all their water.
2. Add the flour to the pan and stir to coat the chicken and vegetables, then pour in the chicken stock and stir well. Slowly pour in the milk, stirring and thickening the sauce as you do, then bring the mixture to the boil, reduce the heat to low and leave to cook for 10–15 minutes, until thickened, then stir through the mustard and season well with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside and allow to cool, then chill in the fridge.
When you cook:
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/350˚F/gas mark
2. Pour the pie filling into an ovenproof baking dish, about 21cm diameter. Lay the pastry over the top of the filling and tuck in the edges.
3. Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg, then transfer the pie to the oven for 30–35 minutes, until golden and well risen. Cut into generous wedges and serve hot with mash and veg alongside, if you like.