Tom Kerridge’s delicious crispy chicken burgers
To celebrate his much-loved food festival ‘Pub In The Park’ returning this May, Tom Kerridge is back in the kitchen with his delicious chicken burgers. Marinated in a garlicky herb yoghurt - they’re ultra crispy, bursting with flavour and will rival the taste of any high-street favourite.
“Better than your high-street favourite” chicken burgers
4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
200g natural yoghurt
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
200g plain flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
Sunflower oil, to shallow-fry
For the sauce:
6 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tsp American mustard
1 tsp Sriracha sauce
4 burger buns
12 little gem lettuce leaves
24 pickled cucumber burger gherkins
1. On a board, gently back each chicken thigh fillet with a rolling pin to flatten it to an even thickness (this helps it cook evenly). Place all the chicken thighs in a dish and spoon over the yoghurt, paprika, and some salt and white pepper. Mix well with your hands until the chicken is well coated, then cover and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
2. Mix the flour, garlic powder and oregano together in a shallow dish and season well with salt and white pepper; set aside. Preheat the oven to 170°C/Fan 150°C/Gas 3.
3. For the sauce, mix the ingredients together in a small bowl then set aside until ready to assemble your burgers.
4. Heat a 5cm depth of oil in a sauté pan to 170°C (check with a thermometer). Dip a chicken thigh into the flour and scrunch it into the flour on both sides, to give the coating texture; place on a tray. Repeat with the rest of the thighs.
5. To ensure a crisp coating, cook the chicken in batches. Carefully lower a couple of chicken fillets into the hot oil and cook for 5-7 minutes, turning once. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a wire rack over an oven tray; keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining chicken thighs.
6. When all the chicken is done, put your burger buns into the oven for a few minutes to warm through, then split them.
7. To assemble, spread a spoonful of sauce on each bun base. Add the lettuce, then the chicken and pickles. Spread more sauce on the bun top, sandwich together, and enjoy!