Tom Rhodes' champion summer salad
He’s the Nando’s manager turned Masterchef champion, who’s already proved he can handle the heat in our kitchen, but today Tom Rhodes is back with a hassle free weeknight dinner. He’s putting the fun and flavour back into salads, as he makes his refreshing noodle and lime chicken salad.
Ginger and lime chicken noodle salad
Thumb sized piece ginger, finely grated
2-3 limes, juice and zest
4 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 chilli, finely sliced
1 garlic clove, finely grated
2 tbsp sugar
2 nests of rice vermicelli, cooked, drained and cooled
1 carrot, julienned
¼ red cabbage, finely shredded
4 spring onions, finely sliced
2 handfuls fresh soft herbs (basil, coriander and/or mint), leaves picked
Salted peanuts, crushed (optional)
Lime wedges, to serve
1. In a bowl mix together the mayonnaise, ginger and lime zest only and stir to combine. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and place into the mayonnaise mixture to marinate for at least 15 minutes or up to 8 hours.
2. Once the chicken has marinated, heat a frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the chicken thighs for 3-4 minutes per side or until cooked through.
3. While the chicken is cooking make the dressing and the salad. For the dressing, combine 2 tbsp of the lime juice with 2 tbsp of cold water, the fish sauce, the chilli, garlic and the sugar in a small bowl and whisk.
4. For the salad, combine the rice noodles with the carrot, red cabbage, spring onions and soft herbs in a large bowl. Toss the dressing through the salad to coat, just before serving.
5. The chicken thighs can be served alongside the salad or shredded and tossed into the salad. Serve with crushed salted peanuts, more fresh herbs and lime wedges.