Wolfgang Puck’s ultimate mac and cheese
He’s one of the most famous chefs in the world and joins us fresh from catering at this year’s Oscars. Wolfgang Puck is in the kitchen pairing the ultimate duo, creamy mac and cheese with crispy chicken. This easy one-pan supper is not only delicious, it’s perfect for using up leftovers and can be made in under 30 minutes.
Mac and cheese with crispy chicken
For the béchamel sauce:
4g grated nutmeg
1 clove garlic, crushed
100g plain flour
100g crème fraiche
160g cheese mix (80g mozzarella, 80g strong cheddar)
400g macaroni pasta
1000g béchamel sauce
4 large chicken breasts, roasted and sliced
80g mozzarella and 80g cheddar, for topping
20g toasted breadcrumbs
Salt and black pepper
1. To make the béchamel sauce, pour the milk into a pan, add the nutmeg and heat till hot.
2. In another large pan, melt the butter and sweat the garlic until tender. Add flour and cook for a few minutes.
3. Add the hot milk slowly to the flour and butter, whisking in between.
4. Whisk all together and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Season and add crème fraiche.
5. Once up to a simmer, remove from the hob and stir in the cheese mix to melt.
6. Preheat the oven to 200C,180C fan, Gas 6.
7. Cook the pasta in a large pot to “al dente” in salted water. Once pasta is cooked, refresh in iced water, then drain thoroughly
8. Mix together the pasta, cheese sauce and sliced chicken breast and spoon into a baking dish. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and cheddar mix and breadcrumbs.
9. Cook in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes - the inside should be very hot and golden brown on top.