Advice for students anxious about results

  • Hear from Helen Westerman from the NSPCC

The number of young people who've called Childline because of exam worries doubled this year.

The NSPCC says the pandemic has meant extra stress for pupils with home learning, however they're urging anyone with worries to talk about them and remember that today's results won't define the rest of their lives.

The NSPCC has offered this advice for concerned students who may not achieved the results they wanted:

  • Ask a teacher, careers advisor or any adult you trust what they think and discuss your options and how you are feeling.

  • Remind yourself of what you did well in whether that be specific pieces of coursework, or other parts of your life.

  • Don't compare yourself to your friends.

  • If you do not feel your grade reflects your ability speak to your school about making an appeal. This doesn't always mean you'll get a better grade but it can help if you think things would have been different had you sat the exam.

  • Look at other courses or training programmes and apprenticeships that you can do.

  • If you are at the age where you are thinking about university and your results haven't got a place at your first option, try not to worry as there is a chance you could get a place at another university through the clearing process.

  • Take a gap year and do something different like volunteering.

  • Look at different courses that you can do with the grades you have achieved.

The NSPCC has also offered advice for parents and carers:

  • Your child may find it hard to talk to you about their results so be patient and supportive until they feel ready to talk about how they feel.

  • Encourage your child to take their time to think about what they want to do next. There's no need to rush into a decision straightaway.

  • Help them think about their choices by writing down a list of pros and cons for each of their options

  • If they are finding it hard to talk to you, let them know they can contact Childline for free, confidential support and advice on 0800 1111 or