A bullet was set off by machinery at a recycling plant in Hull after someone disposed of live ammunition on the site.
It happened at the Carnaby household waste recycling site after a resident had put bullets into a container for small domestic appliances.
After the incident, which just caused a loud bang, staff carefully sifted through the remaining waste and found a second live bullet.
Now, East Riding of Yorkshire Council is urging residents never to take live bullets or any ammunition to recycling centres – but to take them to their local police station to be disposed of properly.
The council has also reissued its plea to residents not to place batteries in their wheelie bins, after a battery started a fire in the back of a bin lorry in Bridlington on Wednesday (3 November).
Thankfully the fire was put out by the crew. This was the second incident of a battery left in bins for collection and sparking a bin lorry fire in Bridlington in two years.
Batteries have also been blamed for causing other fires at recycling sites in the area after they were struck by sorting machinery.
Paul Tripp said: “Residents must understand that batteries can start fires. The best way to recycle them is to take them along to household waste recycling sites, or to local shops and supermarkets, where they’ll find special battery recycling containers.”