A 19-year-old man has died following a night out in Leamington Spa, with police believing he may have taken the drug MDMA in the early hours of this morning (1 February).
A 22-year-old woman is also in hospital in a serious condition, and a number of others have also been admitted after suffering adverse effects.
Police were called at around 5am to The Assembly Rooms on Spencer Street, following reports of a teenager becoming seriously ill.
The 19-year-old later died in hospital.
It is believed the group were at a drum and bass student event held at The Assembly Rooms, but they may not have purchased the drugs at the club.
At this time we believe the tablet taken is a red hexagonal pill named 'Red Bull', which is believed to be MDMA, and we are concerned there may be others who have also taken this. Whilst the cause of death has not been confirmed and we are keeping an open mind as to whether the substance caused a bad reaction or an overdose, we would advise anyone who has also taken it to seek medical advice."
The man's next of kin has been informed and his family are being supported by specialist officers from Warwickshire Police.