Mum furious after 6-year-old daughter finds surgical face mask inside McDonald's chicken nugget

Laura Arber's daughter Maddie discovered the mask inside a McDonald's chicken nugget Credit: Laura Arber

A furious mum claims her six-year-old daughter started choking on pieces of a disposable blue face mask cooked inside chicken nuggets she bought from McDonald's.Laura Arber said she made the discovery in at least two of the 20 nuggets she had bought for her children from the fast food branch in Aldershot in Hampshire, on Tuesday.

The 32-year-old had taken three of her four children to the branch to pick up the order before they headed back to the family home to enjoy their meal.

She said as her kids sat down on the sofa she suddenly became aware that six-year-old Maddie was choking.

Laura Arber's daughter discovered the mask inside a McDonald's chicken nugget Credit: Laura Arber

My little daughter just started choking and I put my fingers down her throat to loop it out there was just blue with the sick. I thought what on earth is this? I didn't even think it could be the chicken nugget but looked over at the box and all you could see was this blue coming out of another chicken nugget in the box of 20.

Laura Arber, Mother
The mask was found inside a chicken nugget bought at the McDonald's restaurant in Aldershot

After speaking to the branch on the phone Laura headed down to the store to speak to the manager and was told that the nuggets were not cooked on site. Laura said she did not receive an apology and was shocked that the restaurant did not stop serving nuggets.

Laura Arber's daughter Maddie started choking on the chicken nugget which contained the surgical mask Credit: Laura Arber

And the worst thing was that they carried on serving them. Before I left I said: 'Are you going to keep serving them?' And they were carrying on serving them and that was the big thing for me. I just couldn't believe the way the management were handling it. What if I had walked out of the room and my daughter had choked?. She Could have died. It's a split second thing.

Laura Arber, Mother

Laura's son was born in intensive care and she stayed in accommodation provided by Ronald McDonald House Charities UK for families whose children are very ill in hospital. She said she had always held the company in high esteem because of the way they helped her but said her experience today left her feeling bitterly disappointed.

Laura Arber and her daughter Maddie Credit: Laura Arber

In a statement, a McDonald's spokesperson said, "We are very sorry to hear about this customer’s experience. Food safety is of the utmost importance to us and we place great emphasis on quality control, following rigorous standards to avoid any imperfections. When the matter was brought to the attention of our staff, we apologised, offered a full refund and asked the customer to return the item so we could further investigate the matter and isolate the affected product."