Wales 10-20 England: Warren Gatland's side fall to third Six Nations defeat

Wales were beaten by England in Cardiff Credit: PA

Wales suffered their third defeat of the Six Nations in Cardiff, going down 20-10 to England on Saturday evening.

After a cagey opening few minutes, which England edged, the visitors took the lead through the boot of skipper Owen Farrell. His penalty from 45 metres out opened the scoring after 10 minutes.

England added to their lead midway through the half. An intricate play from a scrum saw Ollie Lawrence carry into the Welsh 22. The ball was recycled an Anthony Watson strolled over in the far corner.

Farrell's conversion hit the post but his side led 8-0.

From the restart, though, Jamie George was penalised for going off his feet at a ruck and Leigh Halfpenny got his team in the board.

Wales hadn't created much but threatened before half time when Louis Rees-Zammit broke into the England 22.

But it ended with Alex Dombrandt winning a penalty near his own line and England cleared it.

They went close again minutes later when Gareth Thomas broke the line but England won another penalty in the shadow of their own posts.

At the break, the visitors led 8-3.

Immediately after the break, Rees-Zammit brought the stadium to its feet. He intercepted a Max Malins pass and raced 45 metres to score. Halfpenny converted and Wales took the lead.

But Wales' joy was short-lived. Fly-half Owen Williams was penalised for rolling on the floor after being tackled and Farrell put it in the corner.

From there, some powerful carries led to Kyle Sinckler ploughing over under the posts and Farrell converted. England led 15-10 in the 45th minute.

Things then settled a little. With neither side able to wrestle the ascendency, the game was largely played between the two 10 metre lines. The only real action to speak of was Farrell's second missed penalty of the match.

Wales worked a decent position 10 minutes from time but inaccurate passing saw the chance wasted an England raced up field.

More Welsh errors kept play in their own 22 and eventually England put them away, with Ollie Lawrence diving over for a try with five minutes to go.

For a long time it looked like there may be no match at all as the threat of players going on strike hung over the fixture.

But following extensive negotiations between the Welsh Rugby Union and players over contract disputes, the match went ahead, with an agreement reached on Wednesday.

Following negotiations, captain Ken Owens said on Friday it has been a couple of weeks he never wants to experience again.

He also said it is a "must win" game for Wales as they look to get back on track following a disappointing run of results.

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny; Josh Adams, Mason Grady, Joe Hawkins, Louis Rees-Zammit; Owen Williams, Tomos Williams; Gareth Thomas, Ken Owens (C), Tomas Francis; Adam Beard, Alun Wyn Jones; Christ Tshiunza, Justin Tipuric, Taulupe Faletau.

Reps: Bradley Roberts, Rhys Carre, Dillon Lewis, Dafydd Jenkins, Tommy Reffell, Kieran Hardy, Dan Biggar, Nick Tompkins

England: Freddie Steward, Max Malins, Henry Slade, Ollie Lawrence, Anthony Watson, Owen Farrell, Jack van Poortvliet, Ellis Genge, Jamie George, Kyle Sinckler, Maro Itoje, Ollie Chessum, Lewis Ludlam, Jack Willis, Alex Dombrandt.

Reps: Jack Walker, Mako Vunipola, Dan Cole, Courtney Lawes, Ben Curry, Alex Mitchell, Marcus Smith, Henry Arundell

Want a quick and expert briefing on the biggest news stories? Listen to our latest podcasts to find out What You Need To Know...