Ching's Chinese-style cod
Save money on your takeaway this weekend with Ching’s Chinese-style cod – it’s easy to make, healthy and delicious!
Serves: 2Prep: 15 minutesCook: 8 minutes
Ingredients:400g cod fillets, skinnedPinch of saltPinch of ground white pepper1 tbsp Shaohsing rice wine or dry sherry1 heaped tbsp cornflour, blended with 2 tbsp cold water2 tbsp rapeseed oil2 garlic cloves, finely chopped2.5cm piece of fresh ginger, finely peeled and grated1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped1 spring onion, finely sliced
For the sauce:1 tbsp chilli bean paste100ml cold vegetable stock1 tbsp tamari or low-sodium light soy sauce1 tbsp black rice vinegar or balsamic vinegar1 tbsp cornflour
For the garnish:1 spring onion, sliced into strips and soaked in ice water for 5 minutes to curl, then drainedCoriander leaves
Method:- Place the cod fillets on a deep, heatproof serving plate. Season with salt, white pepper, rice wine or dry sherry and the blended cornflour.
- Set the plate on a steamer set over a wok filled halfway with water. Place the lid on and steam the cod over a medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the sauce, in a bowl, mix the chilli bean paste, vegetable stock, tamari or low-sodium light soy sauce, black rice vinegar or balsamic and cornflour until combined.
- When the fish is cooked, carefully remove from the wok using a cloth and keep warm. Discard the water from the wok and wipe dry.
- Return the wok to the hob. Heat over a high heat until smoking, add the rapeseed oil and swirl the oil around. Wok-fry the garlic, ginger, chilli and spring onion for a few seconds, then add the reserved sauce and bring to the boil, then set over a very low heat and whisk until the sauce is smooth.
- Remove the fish from the steamer to serving plates if needed or pour the sauce over the fish in the dish it was steamed in.
- Garnish with the spring onion curls and coriander leaves and serve immediately with jasmine rice.
Tips:Use any fish of your choice, halibut also works well.
If using frozen fish, follow the pack instructions, if cooking from frozen ensure it is cooked all the way through.
Chilli bean paste is available from Chinese supermarkets and online, or use your favourite chilli sauce.