CCTV played during trial into murder of Ian Ogle in Belfast

A group of five men attacked Ian Ogle "like a pack of hyenas" as he stood praying with a pastor close to his east Belfast home, a murder trial has heard. The 45-year old father-of-two was beaten and stabbed a total of 11 times yards from his Cluan Place home at around 9.20pm on Sunday January 27, 2019. CCTV of the 30-second attack which claimed Mr Ogle's life was played during the first day of a trial into his murder. Three men are standing trial at Belfast Crown Court.

Glenn Rainey (37) whose address was given as Ballyhalbert Caravan Park, Walter Alan Ervine (42) from Litchfield Street in Belfast and 41-year old Robert Spiers from Millars Park in Dundonald have all denied the murder charge. Two co-accused - Jonathan Brown (38) from Whinney Hill in Dundonald and 45-year old Mark Sewell of Glenmount Drive in Newtownabbey - pleaded guilty to murdering Mr Ogle earlier this month and were handed Life Sentences. As the Crown opened its case against Rainey, Ervine and Spiers to Mr Justice McFarland, it emerged that Mr Ogle's murder followed over a year of tensions in east Belfast between his family and another group of men. A senior prosecutor told the non-jury hearing that an "altercation" occurred in the Prince Albert Bar on July 1, 2017. This involved Ian Ogle and his son Ryan Johnston "on one side" and Glenn Rainey, Jonathan Brown and Alan Ervine "on the other."

Saying this incident resulted in "ongoing tensions", the prosecutor revealed that 35 minutes before Ian Ogle was attacked, both he and his son Ryan were involved in an assault on the Beersbridge Road. The father and son got out of a car and attacked Neil Ogle, a cousin of Ian Ogle, as he walked along the Beersbridge Road. It's the Crown's case that this attack on Neil Ogle was "by way of a reprisal" for the previous incident in the Albert Bar when Neil Ogle "failed to intervene on the side of his family." Following this, the Crown barrister spoke of "a group being assembled in order to mount the attack on Ian Ogle" which he said included mobile phone activity between Brown, Spiers, Rainey, Sewell and Ervine. Just minutes before the attack, CCTV from a Glider bus on the Albertbridge Road captured a group of five men walking towards Cluan Place. This CCTV footage was played in court, as was footage recorded from a police camera situated at Cluan Place which captured the fatal attack. The Crown barrister said: "Ian Ogle was standing near the entrance to Cluan Place. He lived at 4 Cluan Place. He was talking to a local Pastor who had stopped to speak to him. "Ian Ogle told the Pastor that '˜they' were on their way. The Pastor prayed with him. They were joined by another local man. "The Pastor then became aware of the group of five approaching and saw them attack Ian Ogle 'like a pack of hyenas', laying into him. "He described at least one bat or baton striking Ian Ogle multiple times and, when he went to ground, his head was stamped on repeatedly. "Both the Pastor and the other man who was present shouted at them to stop and eventually they did. "It was apparent that Ian Ogle was seriously injured. His son, Ryan Johnston was alerted and the ambulance was called." The prosecutor said the CCTV footage of the attack showed Mr Ogle being punched and kicked before he ended up on the ground. He tried to get back up but was stamped on and kicked for around 30 seconds by the attackers who then fled from the direction they came. A second piece of CCTV taken from same Glider bus stop recorded five men - two running and three walking - in the moments following the attack. It's the Crown's case that Ervine was captured on this footage carrying a long brass implement in his left hand whilst Spiers was carrying an item which the prosecution contend "may be a knife." When the paramedics arrived at Cluan Place, they described the scene as 'crazy.' A group of men and women were present and were screaming and shouting, and Mr Ogle was lying on his back. Telling Mr Justice McFarland "it was clear to the paramedic that he was dead", the prosecutor said: "The blood was pumping out of him and there were stab wounds to his shoulder. "Stab wounds were also observed to his back but there were too many to count with any accuracy." He was rushed to the Royal Victoria Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 10.12pm. A post-mortem conducted on January 29, 2019 concluded Mr Ogle had been stabbed 11 times in the back. He also sustained a fractured to the skull and bruises to his face, head and other parts of the body caused by punches and kicks. Turning to the three accused, the prosecutor spoke of cell site evidence, CCTV footage, DNA evidence, clothing identification and their movements in the aftermath of the murder - all of which will feature in the case against them. It also emerged that the day after the murder Rainey flew from Dublin Airport to Thailand, while Ervine went to Scotland via the ferry from Larne. Ervine returned on February 3 through Belfast Port and was arrested the next day while Rainey was apprehended on March 3 at Manchester Airport after arriving from Bangkok. Spiers was arrested two days after the murder at a house in east Belfast. Following their arrests, all three accused were interviewed by police. Rainey gave a 'no comment' response to all questions asked and in his final interview, he denied involvement in the murder. Ervine also gave a 'no comment' interview, while Spiers answered 'no comment' to most questions put to him and also gave a statement denying his involvement. The Crown barrister concluded the opening by saying: "The prosecution contend that Rainey, Ervine and Spiers were involved in a joint enterprise to attack Ian Ogle with the intention of causing at least serious harm to him." Four co-accused have pleaded guilty to 'lesser' charges arising from the murder and have been told they will be sentenced at a later date, as will Jonathan Brown and Mark Sewell.

Want a quick and expert briefing on the biggest news stories? Listen to our latest podcasts to find out What You Need To Know.