Tewkesbury Academy: Teacher released from hospital after being stabbed in school corridor

  • Watch the latest as teacher 'recovering well' after stabbing

A teacher who was stabbed in a school corridor has been released from hospital.

Tewkesbury Academy was placed in a five-hour lockdown following the incident at around 9am on Monday 10 July.

The teacher sustained a single stab wound and was taken to hospital but has since been discharged. No-one else was injured during the incident.

The school reopened as normal on Tuesday 11 July.

  • Police hold press conference on Tewkesbury Academy stabbing

Speaking to the media on Monday afternoon, Gloucestershire Police's Assistant Chief Constable Richard Ocone said the force received a call at 9am saying there had been a threat to a teacher at Tewkesbury Academy.

He added: "Minutes later we received a call from the ambulance service telling us a male teacher had been stabbed in a corridor at the school.

"He was taken to hospital with a single stab wound and remains in a stable condition."

The school was locked down for around five hours. Credit: ITV News

It was thought the suspect fled the scene and hidden in the school ground, with the following search for them described as "complex".

Mr Ocone added: "Our officers, including specialist armed police, attended and carried out a thorough search. This search was both complex and meticulous in nature as we sought to ensure there were no further injured parties as well as seeking the arrest of the suspect.

"The academy was locked down and two neighbouring schools were asked to close their doors as a precaution."

A teenage boy was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder around five miles from the school premises in Stoke Orchard and remains in police custody.

Police say the motivation behind the attack is unclear but there is no evidence to suggest it is terrorism-related.

In a statement issued on the morning of Tuesday 11 July, a spokesperson for the school confirmed it has reopened following "careful assessment and consultation with police".

They added: "We feel it is important for our students to be able to return to a sense of normality in their school, where we will be providing a range of additional mental and emotional support for students and staff. Police will retain a presence at the school for the coming days to provide reassurance.

“We are pleased to confirm the Tewkesbury colleague injured in yesterday’s incident has been discharged from hospital and is recovering well. He has expressed his gratitude for the many positive messages he has received.

A teenage boy was arrested following the incident. Credit: ITV News

“All of us at Tewkesbury Academy are grateful for the support we have received from our community and colleagues from across our trust and from the wider education sector. We also want to thank officers from Gloucestershire Constabulary for their invaluable help and reassurance.

“And finally, huge thanks to all Tewkesbury colleagues for their calm and professionalism during an incredibly difficult day, and our students and their families for their patience, resilience and support. We look forward to continuing to support each other, while focusing again on providing a high-quality education to the young people of Tewkesbury.”

'Deeply concerned' - Politicians react to the incident

Rishi Sunak’s thoughts are with those impacted by the incident at a school in Tewkesbury, Downing Street said.

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said: “It is a live investigation, but the Prime Minister’s thoughts are with the individual who has been injured and with the staff and pupils of the school who would obviously be extremely concerned.

“He wants to thank the police and emergency services for their ongoing response.”

The school has reopened as usual but police remain on site. Credit: ITV News

The town’s MP, Laurence Robertson, said on Twitter: “I’m deeply shocked and saddened by the news of the terrible incident at Tewkesbury Academy this morning. My thoughts are with everyone at the scene."

Education Secretary Gillian Keegan has also spoken about the incident, saying she is "deeply concerned" by it.

"We are closely monitoring the situation and remain hugely grateful to the emergency services who are currently on the scene," she added.

"My department is on hand to support the school as the situation unfolds.”