Deliciously Ella's creamy mushroom risotto
If you’re in need of a quick, easy dish to feed the family after a busy Easter weekend, then Ella Mills, founder of the successful brand Deliciously Ella, has the answer.
Packed full of flavour, her creamy mushroom risotto is not only her most popular recipe but it’s also simple, healthy and, well, delicious of course!
Creamy mushroom orzo risotto
1 small red onion, peeled and chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
10g dried porcini mushrooms
250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
2 teaspoons of brown rice miso paste
400g tin of coconut milk
A handful of spinach
A drizzle of olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
Juice of ½ - 1 lemon
1. Place the dried porcini mushrooms in a small bowl and cover with 400ml boiling water. Leave to soak for as long as it states on the back of the pack, as these times differ. Once they’re nice and soft, roughly chop them and reserve the water - this will be used like stock, to give the recipe lots of flavour.
2. Place a casserole pan over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Once warm, add the onion, garlic and a pinch of salt. Mix well and cook for 10 minutes, until soft.
3. Once soft, add the chopped dried mushrooms and sliced chestnut mushrooms. Mix well and cook for 10 minutes, until the mushrooms brown. At this point, add the orzo, miso paste, coconut milk and mushroom water. Mix well, then place the lid on top of the pan and leave to cook for 20 minutes, until the orzo becomes soft and the liquid has been absorbed. Make sure to stir it every now and then to ensure the pasta doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
4. Once the orzo is ready, stir through the spinach and allow it to wilt.
5. Serve with lots of black pepper and fresh lemon juice on top.