John Torode's speedy fish pie!
John's headed to Cornwall in search of the legendary 'stargazing' pie.
Speedy fish pie
600g of mixed white fish and smoked white fish, cut into thumb size pieces
300g prawns & scallops, cleaned
Handful of frozen peas
Small bunch of herbs, chopped (tarragon, parsley, dill)
Boiled eggs (optional)
Shop bought puff pastry
1 large shallot diced
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp fennel seeds
300ml noilly prat vermouth
300ml fish stock
400ml double cream
1. Sweat the diced shallots with lightly crushed fennel seeds in the butter , Add vermouth and reduce until it is syrupy . Add the stock and reduce by half quickly. Add cream and return to the boil for 2 minutes. Let cool a little
2. Drop in the fish and warm it through for 2 minutes.
3. Add the prawns and the scallops and cook for another minute.
4. Take from the heat and fold in the peas and the chopped herbs and eggs if using.
5. Put the filling into little pie dishes and cover with the pastry and glaze.
6. Pop into the oven and bake at 200 for 15 – 18 minutes
7. Serve - careful it's hot!