John's Spanish inspired chicken and chorizo one pot
John’s back in the kitchen with an easy one pot Spanish inspired rice dish. Made with chicken, chorizo and mushroom, it’s so easy to put together for the perfect family supper. What’s more, the dish costs just £1.20 a head and serves 6.
One pot Spanish rice
60ml olive oil
2 onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
6 boned chicken thighs, each cut into 4 pieces
200g chorizo, sliced
1 tsp paprika
1 long red chilli, chopped
150g King oyster mushrooms, roughly chopped
400g good-quality long grain or paella rice
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
100ml white wine
500ml vegetable stock (made up with 2 vegetable stock cubes)
A good handful of coriander or parsley, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oven to 200C, Gas 6.
2. Put the oil, onion and garlic in a large casserole. Gently cook over a medium heat for a couple of minutes, stirring all the time. Drop in the chicken, chorizo, paprika and chilli, if using, give everything a good stir and leave for 1 minute over a high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further minute.
3. Pour in the rice and stir again, then season well with salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes, wine and stock and stir again. Cover with a lid and bring to the boil.
4. Now put the casserole into the oven for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, carefully lift off the lid, and cook for a further 10 minutes until the top of the rice is a little bit crispy.
5. Sprinkle coriander over and take the casserole to the table and dig in.