1) Meet friends before entering the Notting Hill Carnival area.
2) With so many people in the area, you may struggle to get mobile phone reception, so ensure you have a set meeting place in case you lose anyone.
3) Make sure you know how you are getting home before you arrive. A number of tube stations in the area are closed or exit only for much of the weekend.
4) Go with the flow of the crowd.
5) Don’t bring your valuables or wear expensive jewellery and don't carry too much cash.
6) Keep your belongings with you at all times.
7) Drink plenty of water.
8) Consider using a disposable camera, rather than an expensive camera.
9) If you see an unattended bag or package, report it immediately
10) Make sure you take a map with you
More top news
Born and bred in Tottenham and inspired by the place he grew up, rapper Avelino has worked with Stormzy, Skepta and Wretch 32.
Tracey Connelly, 37, was jailed indefinitely with a minimum term of five years for causing or allowing her 17-month-old son Peter’s death.
An edible university, urban farm and a version of Battersea Power Station all feature in the sugary mini-city.